Chicken, Potato & Bean Salad
Sounds bland; really isn’t. Recipe below by Robin Willis. Measurements here feed ~10.
- 3kg of chicken thigh / leg (bone in, skin on)
- Half a bunch of tarragon, chopped
- Smoked paprika, up to 4 tsp
- Juice of two lemons
- Zest of one lemon
- Garlic salt ~ 2tsp
- Good glug of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste, plus extra to go over the top once it’s in the baking pan
Bake for 45-50 mins at 200-210 in fan oven
- ‘All-rounder’ potatoes, maybe 17-18, cube to 1” and boil until done – just starting to round off at the edges
- 1 onion chopped 1/4”, add this immediately after draining the spuds, stir briefly and leave for 15-20 minutes with pan lid on, for the onion to warm up and lose its sharpness (keeps its crunch this way!)
- 12 streaky rashers fried slow until light brown all over then chopped 1/4”
- Sprig of rosemary (no stalk, only leaves) chopped as finely as possible
- plenty of salt and pepper
- healthy glugs of olive oil
- 2 crushed cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsps mayonnaise
Stir as little as possible to combine without breaking up the spuds. If this happens just consider it mashed potato.
- Two tins of cannellini, two tins of flageolet, two tins of red kidney beans, one tin of butter beans.
- Whole bulb of garlic, minced, loads of white wine vinegar and more olive oil than seems reasonable.
- Juice of half a lemon.
- Masses of salt and pepper.
- Whole pack (could probably support two packs, may he rest in peace) of curly parsley, chopped fine.
Preferably assemble at least an hour before serving, so you can mix every 15 mins to let the vinegar work on the garlic a bit and take away some of its bite.